Monday, January 12, 2009

Avocation

A few months back I taught a women's self defense class to some of the volunteers at the agency. The was the last class I've taught since, and although I love teaching I was starting to think that it might be time to retire...the truth is that I have spent more money than I will ever make teaching the class, and quite frankly I get the snot beat out of me teaching it...and I have to say; I'm not as young as I used to be.

So today, my friend Katy who set up the class peaks her head into the office where I am studying. "I have something kinda cool and kinda bad to tell you." I pulled my ear buds out so she could tell me her story. She then proceeded to tell me how one of my students and her mother were at the bank and some guy got into their car and tried to rob them. The mother froze, but my student remembered what I had taught her and proceeded to open up a can of whoop a$$ on the guy.

That right there makes the class worth teaching, so I will continue to ignore my doctor's wishes and I will keep teaching as long as the students keep coming.

1 comment:

Jeremy Rice said...

Sorry to hear about your student's robbery.

...But it is nice to receive a little validation now and then.


Enjoy your trip to SC.