Sunday, October 7, 2012

Aztec, The Day After

So I was in Aztec yesterday judging at their 2nd annual Highland Games. I picked a small group so I could drive home in daylight, and managed to do so. I found this set of games easier than Santa Fe as far as the whole "there's a caber-I want to throw it" thing goes. For this adventure, I was content with being a judge, and being with my Highlands Family.

What wasn't so easy...
Saturday morning when I awoke from a less than stellar sleep, and a cranky shoulder from a rock hard bed and not enough props, I had been dreaming that I had opened a micro-brewery and was able to 'sample' my wares, so I took this vague unconscious 'awareness' through my day. Being where I was and doing what I was doing, it was a day filled with people passing around a scotch bottle, and horns of ale. I had to continuously remind myself that for me, "just a sip" will never be safe, and that it was a dream, not reality that it was safe. Funny thing about dreams-our psyche (unconscious) doesn't recognize the difference between dream and reality, so although when we wake up we may realize that there wasn't REALLY a giant cobra biting our face, that doesn't stop us from balking at garden hoses the next day, or in my case thinking that a little sippy-sip will be just fine. Saturday was a reminder of how much of an anchor my wife is for my sobriety. I kept reminding myself that if she had been by my side I wouldn't even be thinking about a "sippy-sip" because alcohol is so far removed from our everyday reality-but unfortunately, with my Highlands Family it seems to be an integral part of the Community/Social dance. We all have our things that keep us on track, and for me a large part of what keeps me on track is my wife...I want to be the best person I can for her sake. In writing this, I realize that I'm still not as far along in that whole "being the best person for my OWN sake" thang. I don't really know what else to say about that. Perhaps the observation will inspire movement in that area. 

Perhaps.

As for the shoulder; it is a bit of a chilly day here in Burque and my joints are squawking. I did a few resistance exercises last night when I got home, but I think I'll be letting the shoulder rest and grumble for the day. I'm still trying to figure out that magical balance/formula of how much exercise to rest creates the greatest potential for healing. 

I'll get back to you when I figure that out. Any of 'that'.