Sunday, April 27, 2008

Life's funny lessons

Mica sat back in his chair, set his jaw in his most serious look and said to me "It's good to be here" nodding once for emphasis. Mica wasn't speaking of the party we were at. It was a much more profound statement than that. He was speaking more in the Buddhist sense of Being HERE (and now)...or perhaps it wasn't quite that profound, but that is where I went.

I was at a going-away party in Santa Fe for a friend who is moving to Portland. It was one of those partys where I haven't met most of the people, other than the moving-away person. Said person who I am now very sad that I didn't make more effort to spend time with while she was here (and here we are again, back to 'being here'). I had met two others once, but only spoke to one. And there was Mica and his dad, of course. In one of the brief conversations I had with going-away-person, I told her that "I forget how much I hate partys until I go to one." See previous post, that should give you some clues as to why I hate partys. When I have a mate, it's so much easier to navigate social gathers, cuz you have a built in person-to-mingle-with. Partys are the worst part of being single for me. But I have digressed.

Mica is an expert at navigating social gatherings. He is at ease with talking to new people, he is confident enough to speak his mind, and he is all about being present. Funny how one of the most Buddhist people I know happens to be a 5 year old...and a mormon.

No comments: