Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Minds Meanderings

Have you ever complimented someone, and you just kinda new that they didn't really take it seriously? Sure they accept it and say "thank you", but they don't know that you really mean it. There is this weird thing that goes on where either people don't stop and appreciate one another, or they are full of these perfunctory compliments. And yes, these compliments are nice and give the illusion of us having a civilized social order, but then how is it that when someone has really touched you that you can really let them know?

And of course there is the other side of that which is accepting...whatever it is, graciously. My Sifu (Tai Chi Teacher) discussed this idea at the end of class...that by not being gracious when someone gives us something, whether a compliment or a material gift, that we are being selfish (I've probably grossly misquoted him, but it's the thought that counts, right?). And I know I have been guilty of this believing that I 'don't deserve' anything good. But I do. We all do. Love begets love, generosity begets generosity, kindness begets kindness. The same can be said of 'negative' emotions and actions.

So anyway, back to my original thought. How is it that we let people know that they truly are in our hearts and minds? I'll let you know when I have the answer. One thought I have had over the years is of my high school english teacher. She was one of the first teachers who recognized that I was indeed smart AND LET ME KNOW. She was a wonderful support and indeed pulled me from the brink of self-destruction. And I have told her on a couple occasions that she made a difference in my life...but then some teachers hear this often and don't think much of it. Maybe she does, I don't know. But my dream for letting her know that she really was a big deal in my life is that when I write my first book, I will dedicate it to her. The only problem is that I actually have to finish my first book. But I hope in the mean time that she knows how much she rocks without the book. And hope that all of the people who I really care about know that I really care about them.

1 comment:

brian said...

I like to give people compliments all the time....and most of the time they make excuses.

"I really like your hair today."
"Oh, this? I just dragged a brush through it."

I believe it's a sign of low self-esteem.
Of course, there must be something about me testing them to see if they make an excuse or graciously accept the compliment.