Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Check


So I've been thinking about The List. You know the one. The list of things you want in a partner (or sometimes, the list of things you don't want). My current list goes something like this:

1. If she mentions the words "my issues" on the first date, Run away. Fast.

2. Must be attractive to me. (seems obvious, but it took me a while to get there)

3. No Narcissists. (although they are sometimes hard to spot off the bat)

4. Smart

5. Funny

6. OK with my irreverent sense of humor.

7. Cowgirl (although, I've given up on this one)


Recently added to the list:
8. I need to feel comfortable being myself with this person. (obvious, I know)

9. Sexually compatible.


Lets talk about that one. Sometimes ya just don't fit, and if it isn't good in the beginning, it's not going to get any better. Now I'm not talking about that early awkwardness of finding out what a new person likes, I'm talking blatant, "Wow, that really sucks, and I wish we'd never done this". But it goes deeper. It's liking similar things, similar touch, similar amounts of touch, and it's also about being open to trying new things. And most importantly, it's about being comfortable enough to say "I like this" and "I don't like that", AND being respectful enough to take direction when it is so graciously offered.


10. Likes guns (just because I can)

No comments: