Tuesday, September 2, 2008

the strange things mothers say

I believe I was in 8th grade when Walter Mondale picked Geraldine Ferraro for his running mate. The second that I found this out, I ran excitedly to my mother to inform her of this momentous occasion. Her reaction, a disgusted "A woman isn't capable of being president!" Now, I'm no political expert, but based on my *limited experience* I would say that the world wasn't ready for a woman in the white house in the 80's, and that is why he lost.

So here we are, 2008. When I went back to visit my mother in May, I intentionally avoided political discussions. It was her who brought up politics over mashed potatoes at the cafe. I don't care if it's Hilary or Obama, I am NOT voting for a republican after all the problems Bush has caused!" Coming from my mother who has always been a republican and a racist, I was quite bewildered and disbelieving of her comments. She also berated my sister who worships the ground that bush walks on in spite of the fact that her son, who had been honorable discharged AND already been over to Iraq, was called back to do yet another tour.

Times they are a changing.

No comments: