Friday, September 5, 2008

thoughts from Taos



I have kept very little of my work, so most people I've met down here don't know that I was actually a pretty good artist at time. Perhaps another time I will share the story, but for now just know that I pretty muchly completely stopped doing visual art after I graduated from college. I could have easily gotten into graduate school with my photos or my paintings, but at the time the only career options having a MFA would give you was to teach, and at the time I had no desire to do so, so I didn't pursue graduate school.

I often think that I should start doing art again, so I go and buy fancy pencils, nice paper, canvas etc, but I rarely do more than doodle. Because of allergy issues I've only thought of getting a darkroom in passing. Of late, I have been seeing a lot of "art" that is done with a digital camera, so I have been opening up to the idea that digital photography is a legitimate art form. With that in mind, while we were in Taos, I started thinking about composition and took a number of pictures. Composition used to be something I didn't even have to think about...that is no longer true. Anyway, I took some pictures, some of which were decent. And I hope to take more, hopefully which will eventually be more than decent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often feel the same way about writing.

It's disheartening how much those creative muscles can atrophy when you don't use them often enough.