Monday, October 3, 2011

Hobbies and Joy


"So what do for fun?"
It's a question we all get asked, and most of us have a rote answer at the ready. I don't know about anybody else, but recently I've found that my answers may have been true 20 years ago, but really, I've lost touch with what it is that I consider fun, and more importantly, what brings me joy. I have been working on this list, but right now, it is a little slim.

I've let the stresses of life get in the way of My Life. I didn't mean for it to happen, and I'm not even sure when it happened, or if it's always been like this. What I do know is that life is too dang short not to live each moment to the fullest.

So here is what I can tell you that I find fun AND brings me joy: The Highland Games. Last year about this time, my lovely wife and I went to the Santa Fe Rennisaunce Fair, and there found the Highland Games going. Now to back track for a moment...shortly after I'd moved here (about 13 years ago) I'd seen the highland games and wanted to get involved, but had no idea how to do so. I'd searched the internet and never found anything that led me to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Fast-forward; when we came upon the games last year I worked up my courage to ask the fellow MCing, "So, how does one get involved with this?" Coach Chuck informed me that the group practiced weekly just blocks from my house. After being reassured that women were welcome (after speaking with Pattie R), it was on! Since then I have participated in 5 games in NM and AZ, and also become a certified judge. I've also gotten involved with the Rio Grande Valley Celtic Festival, and hope to continue my involvement.

Throughout the years I have had many passing fancies-things that I really enjoyed at the time, but at some point, I've just lost interest and/or passion. I am hoping with the games, that this will be a lifelong pursuit. One of the things that Pattie said to me on our first meeting was that "doing this has made me strong; not just physically, but mentally and emotionally." I have to agree with Pattie-I have come out of my shell in a way that I never have before through my involvement with the games. Not only that, I have met many people who have become important members of my chosen family. I have been blessed to find this Joy, and hope that I am able to keep the passion burning.

No comments: