Saturday, November 8, 2008

Married until proven otherwise

My friend Katie (who happens to be the fabulous woman who introduced me to Chris) recently went to California to get married to her partner of 7 years. After the passing of Proposition 8 she hung this tank-top outside of her cube at work. What it says since you can't really tell is, "MARRIED UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE."

A couple weeks before Katie and T went to CA to get married, we were at a BBQ together. Seeing Chris and I being all ga-ga over each other, she said to us, "You know, T and I have been together for 7 years and we still wake up in Love with each other every morning. I wish that for you guys."

How often do we encounter couples who are so in Love? How is it that a group of people can say to these beautiful, Loving women, "No, you can't get married because the Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman." Excuse me, marriage wasn't invented by the Christians. I'm not going to go on a historical rant about what marriage is and has been, but I will say; lets not forget that it wasn't that long ago that caucasians weren't allowed to marry people of color...based on something that the bible supposedly said. Where do we draw the line? If you want to quote the bible, let us not forget the passage where Lot and his daughters engage in incest, but nobody is fighting to legalize incest because 'the bible said so.' And I'm sure good Christians will argue context on that, but lets face it, it is purely hypocritical to argue "context" only on the issues one chooses to.

Marriage isn't solely an institution for Christians, otherwise only Christians would be getting married. Love is a Human Right, as is Marriage. It is time to cut the bull$#*! and dispense Rights equally.