Sunday, May 18, 2008

the library is closed




I met a friend for coffee yesterday and after we sat down my friend pointed out that the first gay-boy behind the counter called me "sir", and the second one made a point of saying "lady". I laughed feeling a mixture of pride and annoyance. Really, I look more like a girl with my hair short than I did with it long. When my hair was long I got 'sir'ed at least once a month, but for the 2 years it's been short, this has been my first 'sir'. My favorite 'sir' moment was a number of years back, I went to open the library door and a woman says to me "uh sir" (I ignore her cuz I don't think she is talking to me), she hesitates, and my spidey senses tingle so I look over my shoulder, quizzically at her, as she tentatively says "uh ma'am". Thinking she has finally figured it out, she interrupts my thought process with "uh, whatever. The library is closed."

Back to yesterday, later that evening when I was at the gym, I wondered if the big burly guy next to me had ever gotten "ma'am"ed. And I laughed and dropped my weights. Fortunately no one was injured.

No comments: