Friday, May 30, 2008

The Trip

"Welcome to ND, as long as your not a queer" is really what the sign should say. There is only one vet in town now and she is a 'sistah' and there are folks who won't go to her because she is a sistah. And she is not out, but it's a small town so everyone knows. Or thinks they know.

Conversely, I love the sky in ND. I had a friend once who had traveled extesively who said that the ND sunsets rivaled the Hawaii sunsets. I wasn't able to get a sunset shot, but this will do... And then there is the open road. I wasn't looking forward to this long drive, but I was able to rediscover what it was that I used to love about getting behind the wheel. I do love the quiet time to myself...a chance to clear my thoughts and let the breezes of creativity flow. Back when I was early in sobriety (and gas was still cheap) I would go out driving almost every night, and it was one of my favorite times...one of the few times I could quiet the negative voices in my head and Just Be. Like many before me I had a love-affair with the open road, and the starry sky. I was glad to be re-acquainted.

No comments: