Saturday, May 3, 2008

Thoughts inspired by breakfast with Simu

A few months back my roommate accused me of being a Morning Person. I was quite taken aback. How dare she?

Why is it I was so offended by the thought? But when I examined her statement, I had to admit that it was true; I had indeed turned into a Morning Person. I mean I'm certainly not a night person...I would be happy to go to bed at 8pm most nights if I could actually go to sleep. The truth is, I love the first peaceful, mindful deep breath I take in the morning. I love the quietness of my surroundings. I love the lightness of not carrying the shielding that comes from interacting with angry (wounded) people, with emotional vampires, and near-death experiences at the hands of un-conscious drivers.

I AM a morning person, but it was very hard to let go of my attachment to being Not-A-Morning-Person. And why was it that I was so opposed to letting go of this label? Because it went along with other labels I had become accustomed to. I have a long standing habit of thinking of myself in a certain way, a way that doesn't really serve the way that I want to be. Those certain ways include but are not limited to; angry, depressed, tough, and angst-ridden. And I have to admit that it has been a challenge learning to live without these things (even though I don't want them anymore) because they have been a part of me for so long...so I have had to learn new habits...habits that go against my previous nature. It is scary to become this new person...a person that at one time I would have thought of as weak. But what I am discovering is that it takes a strong person to walk around without the rusty, clunky armour of these labels.

No comments: