Thursday, May 8, 2008

Would you like to join me in my quarters for some toast?

How sad is this? Of the many romantic encounters I have had, I have never initiated a single one. Seriously, how are you ever going to get what you want if you don't go out and get it yourself? So, here I am in my mid 30's and I have no idea how to go about asking someone out on a date. I have no tried-and-true pick-up lines...because I've never used one. I was thinking maybe I should hang out with some teenage boys in order to find out what has worked for them...and what has gotten their faces slapped. Fortunately, I don't know any teenage boys.

And of course, there is the slight dilemma of not knowing exactly what it is that I want. I know I want a girl that I find attractive, I want someone who is fun and smart (oh, I just remembered, I want a cowgirl...at least I have something concrete)...those things are a bit vague though. But part of the trouble with always being the pursued and never the pursuer is that you don't learn to look for what it is you're looking for. Deep, I know. (gimme a break, with the exception of tokyorosa, all y'all were in bed snoozing while I was at the gym this morning)

AND, there is yet another dilemma...I don't really have the time or energy for a full-on LTR. I joke that I want to play the field...but it's not too far from the truth. I've said this for several years now, but it still holds true; I would really like to learn how to date. Real-date, not lesbian-date where you rent the U-haul on the second date. I would just like to slowly get to know someone, and if it's not working for whatever little reason, STOP!!!!!

Which leads us into dilemma #4. I've developed little crushes on a number of my friends/acquaintances/and one personal trainer. And I know that part of it is a) I just want more intimacy in my life, which could easily be remedied by deepening my friendships, and b) that I really would just like to get laid...and sometimes, Mr Bendy just isn't enough.

1 comment:

brian said...

Being the smooth operator that I am....and having been married for over 10 years now....I have no game. I may be the worst possible perso to give you advice....but here goes:

1. Be confident. Even if you don't feel confident--look people in the eyes, smile, and make jokes no one understands---this give the illusion of mystery.
2. Say things like, "One in seven Americans now has a tattoo. Are you "one: or are you in the other six?"
3. Be willing to call it off. If you aren't willing to call it off...it may come off as desperation---and no one likes a desperate person.
4. Get them alone---(man that sounds creepy.)
5. hope for the best.

The worst that can happen is they walk away.

Of course the other option is to walk up to a girl and say, "Fuck me if I'm wrong, but is your name Frank?"
Hope for the best.