Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sister

While I was back, Mom and I drove over to visit my sister in Wibaux. She brought two of her kids along, B and Kat. I haven't seen my sister since I left ND, and only talked to her once, and then only because I wanted to talk to her eldest daughter. When K is in a good mood she is awesome, however when she gets in one of her MOODS, look-out! The night before we were supposed to meet she called screaming and cussing how she couldn't come...no reason given, she just couldn't come and like everything else she always gets left out. The next morning I called her, not feeling like putting up with any crap and just told her we'd be in Wibaux and she needed to get her ass there. And she did, and we had a nice visit...including hamming it up for the camera.

Sadly, K is another one of those folks who spends her time blaming everyone and everything for all that is wrong in her life...and as a result nothing changes. All of her kids but one are in trouble with the law regularly, including the 12 year old, and no one takes responsibility. All of the kids smoke and K blames it on the dad, but does nothing to discourage them when they walk out every five minutes to go have a smoke. The kids sat the table and told stories of beating people up (who, of course, deserved it) and K laughed and proudly proclaimed "that's my kid!", and immediately switched to "That son-of-a-bitch, it's ALL his fault these kids fight." Meanwhile, I can tell you that those kids tell their stories just like K tells her stories of beating people up...but it's all that s.o.b's fault.

I know the hardest part of being a counselor is going to be seeing kids who are smart and talented like my nephews and nieces who have parents who won't take responsibility for providing the boundaries and the protection for these kids to grow up Whole individuals. How is it that we can split an atom but we can't ensure that all children grow up with the perfect opportunities to have everything they need to thrive?




No comments: