Sunday, August 17, 2008

the path of Zen

I keep coming back to the same teaching from Thich Nhat Hanh. Not intentionally, but the same none the less: Aware of the suffering created by attachment to views and wrong perceptions, we are determined to avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views....Consider Mindfulness training as a clear mirror in which to look at ourselves.

These words seems so easy, so elementary. But their practice is so difficult. I find when I am hurt by others' words and actions that I spend hours thinking of all the ways I would like to either tell them off for hurting me, or simply to argue and yell at them until they can see my point of view. I generally don't take either of these approaches, and when it comes down to it, I do my best to not hurt the other person, sometimes to the point of not appropriately taking care of myself. I don't often approach situations in which I have perceived a hurt with an open Heart. I see that now. Perhaps I can start to do something different now.

It is often said in many circles that the characteristics you pray for will come in the form of lessons. So I guess I have been blessed with my lessons on patients, compassion and self care.