Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Everything I need to know I learned from Dolly

i talk a lot about the "scarcity model". I talk a lot about not wanting to live my life based on the scarcity model and about how I don't want people in my life who are entrapped in it either. I thought I was doing pretty good until I started thinking about class status on my drive to school tonight. Primarily I was thinking about how different I am from some of the people I have been meeting lately...different in the sense of bank account, but also how we were raised, attitudes about life, expectations. Mainly I'm thinking of the women that friend's have been trying to set me up with lately, and how I'm poor-ass grad student/retail whore, and I've always been in the lower class of the economic scale. So there it is. I still think of myself as poor, and yes, financially, I am broke-ass, I am not in denial about that...however it is my attitude that is the problem. I wasn't even really consciously aware that I was having thoughts like: "I can't hang out with so-and-so because I'm lesser than she because of my income" or "So-and-so will think less of me because I grew up poor"...and so on.

Does it really make a difference? Or is it just my attitude that makes a difference. Once again, I don't know. Where is my coat of many colors when I need it?

No comments: